Thursday, June 19, 2008

2nd post.

I am in the city, so i feel an obligation to post. Things have been progressing pretty normally. I had an unnerving conversation at an uncle's house with a guy from a nearby village. He was asking a lot of questions about where the money for volunteers' cigarettes comes from. I told him that i didn't smoke, and he didn't seem to care. He was very concerned about the cigarette monies. Everyone else at the table (about 10 other people) thought i didn't understand the words he was using, so they kept shouting things at me. But i just had no idea what he wanted to know. Finally he left me alone after saying 'i don't know' for the 50th time.

Otherwise, things have been pretty normal. This is the time when young men come back from their 2-year compulsory military service, so there have been a lot of parties, a lot of barbecueing. I have been doing my best to study and maintain a sleep schedule for my own sanity, and those things have been doing well i'm happy to say. The key is maintaining my energy and always staying ahead enough in my written work that things in conversation can trigger my recollection of the formal rules of the language. I hope everyone is doing well, do not worry about any news of protests from Yerevan this weekend, we are all insulated in our tiny villages.

No comments: